The Sign of His Coming
24 May 2018
GraceNotes – A Journey of Discovery
Scripture: Matthew 24:26-35 (Click link for scripture in Bible Gateway)
26 “So if someone tells you, ‘Look, the Messiah is out in the desert,’ don’t bother to go and look. Or, ‘Look, he is hiding here,’ don’t believe it! 27 For as the lightning flashes in the east and shines to the west, so it will be when the Son of Man comes. 28 Just as the gathering of vultures shows there is a carcass nearby, so these signs indicate that the end is near. 29 “Immediately after the anguish of those days, the sun will be darkened, the moon will give no light, the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. 30 And then at last, the sign that the Son of Man is coming will appear in the heavens, and there will be deep mourning among all the peoples of the earth. And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And he will send out his angels with the mighty blast of a trumpet, and they will gather his chosen ones from all over the world—from the farthest ends of the earth and heaven. 32 “Now learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its branches bud and its leaves begin to sprout, you know that summer is near. 33 In the same way, when you see all these things, you can know his return is very near, right at the door. 34 I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass from the scene until all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear. (Matthew 24:26–35 NLT)
It’s important to know what things Jesus says aren’t signs of his immediate return (Matthew 24:3-13).
• False messiahs. Over 50 have claimed to be Jewish or Christian Messiahs.
• Wars between nations. Currently 59 wars taking place on earth.
• Famines. 22 million people experiencing famine in 2018. 4 nations in food crisis.
• Earthquakes. 12 to 14 thousand earthquakes recorded per year around the world.
• Persecution. 215 million Christians in over 50 countries are experiencing high, very high, or extreme persecution.
• False prophets. Today’s false prophets have Twitter accounts.
• Moral decline in society. Gallup poll: 77% say US morals declining.
The Sign of His Coming: The Good News about the Kingdom will be preached throughout the whole world. (Matthew 24:14) Jesus will appear in the heavens with power and great glory. (Daniel 7:13-14) Life on earth will never be the same!
Father, Please help us to focus on what matters most! We don’t want to get caught up in “end time” arguments that distract us from following Jesus here and now! Amen!