Now Build On It
30 December 2015
Reading: 2 Peter 1; Ecclesiastes 5-8
5 So don’t lose a minute in building on what you’ve been given, complementing your basic faith with good character, spiritual understanding, 6 alert discipline, passionate patience, reverent wonder, 7 warm friendliness, and generous love, each dimension fitting into and developing the others. (2 Peter 1:5-7 MSG)
Peter lays out a sort of “famous last words” message in this brief letter to Christ followers. He says, “You’ve been given salvation, forgiveness, new life, fellowship with God and others, a purpose to live for – that’s God’s grace-gift to you, received through basic faith in Christ. Now build these blocks on that foundation.”
• Good Character – Teachings of Jesus, Sermon on the Mount, Paul’s letters, Peter and James’ letters.
• Spiritual Understanding – Good and evil, Kingdom of God vs Kingdom of darkness, angels and demons, power and authority, submission.
• Alert Discipline – Spiritual disciplines, Bible reading, prayer, accountability.
• Passionate Patience – Single-minded and total commitment to Christ, encouragement to persevere, how to handle hardships.
• Reverent Wonder – God’s sovereignty and majesty, worship, creation, heaven.
• Warm Friendliness – Right relationships in and out of the Body of Christ, active engagement of others, be nice.
• Generous Love – Right priorities about material things, outreach, giving, serving.
With these qualities active and growing in your lives, no grass will grow under your feet, no day will pass without its reward as you mature in your experience of our Master Jesus. (2 Peter 1:8 MSG)
It would be hard to find better practical instruction on how to build my life for eternity. A foundation of basic faith. The building blocks of Christ’s character, Kingdom of God values, heaven’s truth, and the Spirit’s leading in love and right relationships.
Father, Today’s reading prompted me to examine my life to see how I’m doing with these qualities. Peter said I should build on the foundation of basic faith – the foundation I’ve been given. It’s obvious to me right now that I’ve got a lot to do here. Help me to think your thoughts about these seven building blocks. Help me to make sure I’m building with the right materials. Amen.