Nothing Has Changed
25 August 2017
Reading: Jeremiah 37-39; Psalm 79; 2 John
5 But permit me a reminder, friends, and this is not a new commandment but simply a repetition of our original and basic charter: that we love each other. 6 Love means following his commandments, and his unifying commandment is that you conduct your lives in love. This is the first thing you heard, and nothing has changed. (2 John 5-6 MSG)
• Nothing has changed. Sin still separates – sin separates us from fellowship with God our Father and sin separates us from fellowship with each other.
• Nothing has changed. If we are outside of Christ, we are inherently selfish, and it shows in our thoughts, attitudes, and actions. If we are in Christ, but not allowing his spirit to lead us, we are still selfish and it still shows!
• Nothing has changed. Commerce, politics, a profession, or even religion can each be a platform to live out our selfish ambitions and satisfy our personal needs.
• Nothing has changed. Love unifies. Love is giving and unselfish. Love is serving with humility. Love is healing and not hurting. Love is covering and not exposing.
• Nothing has changed. We still need to be reminded that the first commandment, the original and basic charter, is that we love God and love people. Sin separates and love unifies.
• Nothing has changed. So I’m taking a few minutes to read 1 Corinthians 13 this morning. There’s something God wants to say to me about love and loving others.
For right now…we have three things to do…: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love. (1 Corinthians 13:13 MSG)
Father, I am so aware I don’t have time to play at my faith! Please forgive me for getting caught up in so much life-complicating detail that I fail to focus on the things that really matter! Please help me not to waste hours and days and weeks putting my energy into the things that won’t last. Recently as Jean and I spent an evening with young couples who are at the point we were at 40-plus years ago, I felt our love flowing to them in words of counsel, instruction, and encouragement. I felt life and love flowing. What can I do to optimize time and opportunity? I only have enough time to live the way you want me to live. Don’t let me miss it!