Live Like This
31 May 2019
Live Like This
Reading: Proverbs 16-18; Romans 12
9 Don’t just pretend to love others. Really love them. Hate what is wrong. Hold tightly to what is good. 10 Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other. (Romans 12:9-10 NLT)
As I was reading through Romans 12 I said, “Father, what do you want to speak to me about?” That’s when verses 9-21 sort of took the form of a list for me – a list of things that God wants to find, wants us to find, upon examination of our lives...
• Don’t just pretend that you love others. Really love them.
• Hate what is wrong. Stand on the side of the good.
• Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other.
• Never be lazy in your work, but serve the Lord enthusiastically.
• Be glad for all God is planning for you.
• Be patient in trouble, and always be prayerful.
• When God’s children are in need, be the one to help them out.
• If people persecute you, don’t curse them; pray that God will bless them.
• When others are happy, be happy with them. If they are sad, share their sorrow.
• Live in harmony with each other. That doesn’t mean to always agree, but to disagree agreeably and respectfully.
• Don’t act important, enjoy being with ordinary people. And don’t be a know-it-all!
• Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable.
• Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible.
• Never avenge yourselves. Leave that to God. Never pay back evil for evil to anyone.
• Don’t let evil get the best of you, but conquer evil by doing good.
(Romans 12:9-21 NLT)
These are the behaviors that will express the Christ nature that lives in us. As we commit to live like this, we must rely consciously and intentionally on the Holy Spirit to motivate and empower us to live like Jesus – to live the “normal” Christian life.
Father, I want to live like this! I can’t do it on my own. Please prompt me by your Spirit in the hours and moments of each day, in each situation and circumstance, to say “Yes” to the Jesus way and to say “No” to my old selfish way of thinking, speaking, and living in relationship with you and others. Let faith grow in my heart to learn to live like this! By your grace. In Jesus’ name! May it be so.