21 May 2015
Reading: 1 Corinthians 1; Psalm 118
30 God alone made it possible for you to be in Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made Christ to be wisdom itself. He is the one who made us acceptable to God. He made us pure and holy, and he gave himself to purchase our freedom. 31 As the Scriptures say, “The person who wishes to boast should boast only of what the Lord has done.” (1 Corinthians 1:30-31 NLT)
How’s your holiness? How would you say you’re doing at the monumental task of living a godly and holy life? Do you think the time will come when you have this thing completely mastered, when the graph is all up and to the right, when you’ll never mess up again? I hope these questions will prompt you to think this through with me…
• God alone made it possible for you to be in Christ Jesus. God Alone!
• Christ alone who makes you acceptable to God. Christ Alone!
• Christ alone made you pure and holy. Christ Alone!
• Christ alone gave himself to purchase your freedom. Christ Alone!
Would you like to know the truth about me and how I’m doing at the task of living a godly and holy life?
• On any given day I grieve over the wickedness of my selfish, sinful heart. My old heart is desperately wicked and I know it! I confess my sin and my sinfulness. I choose to turn from my sin and turn to my God’s amazing Grace! I am accepted and forgiven!
• On any given day I can see the hopeful, encouraging signs of God’s grace growing in my heart. I can see in my own heart less judgment and criticism of others, more patience with others and myself, more attentiveness and care for the needs of others. I can see the healthy green shoots of fruitfulness pushing up through the weeds and stubble. I am accepted and hopeful!
My confidence, my boast is in God Alone!
• I’ve come such a long way already, but it is God Alone who has brought me this far!
• I have such a long way to go, but it is God Alone who will get me there!
Will you pray this prayer with me?
Father, I boast in you and in your amazing love and grace. I boast in your patience and forgiveness. I boast in the new hope and new life you give me each time I turn from my sin and selfishness and each time I turn to you in hopeful faith. You’re amazing!