God Did It!
18 January 2009
5 But don’t be angry with yourselves that you did this to me, for God did it. He sent me here ahead of you to preserve your lives. 8 Yes, it was God who sent me here, not you! And he has made me a counselor to Pharaoh—manager of his entire household and ruler over all
Joseph had spent thirteen years as a slave or a prisoner because of what his brothers had done to him. Now he had ruled as Governor of Egypt for nine years. There’s a clue to the health of his spirit and soul in his naming of his first-born son Manasseh (God has made me forget my hardships).
Three things here that speak to me deeply:
· Joseph kept his soul healthy by forgetting his past hardships and living in the present.
· Joseph did not desire revenge on his brothers. He didn’t even want them to feel guilty!
· Joseph saw God in control of his life, even when others betrayed him.
· I too will live my healthiest and most productive life if I forgive and forget past offenses and injustices and live fully in the present.
· Jesus said, “Forgive and receive forgiveness, give and receive blessing, release others and be free yourself.” That’s what I must do. No revenge and no regrets.
· I choose to see God alone as the one in control. There is much that neither I nor anyone else can control. God has brought me to where I am today. I will trust him and thank him.
Father, thank you for the grace of forgetfulness. I believe that you are in control of my past, my present, and my future. I release from judgment anyone who has wronged me and I look at today and tomorrow as filled with the grace of my loving Father God. Amen.