04 October 2009
* He immediately consulted with his advisers, who knew all the Persian laws and customs, for he always asked their advice. (Esther 1:13 NLT)
* The king and his princes thought this made good sense, so he followed Memucan’s counsel. (Esther 1:21 NLT)
* This advice was very appealing to the king, so he put the plan into effect immediately. (Esther 2:4b NLT)
* When it was Esther’s turn to go to the king, she accepted the advice of Hegai, the eunuch in charge of the harem. She asked for nothing except what he suggested, and she was admired by everyone who saw her. (Esther 2:15 NLT)
Advice plays a big part in the story of Esther. King Xerxes had surrounded himself with a team of wise men and he always asked their advice. When the advice of his counselors made good sense, he followed it. When it was time to search for a new queen, the advice of the King’s attendants was personally appealing to him, so he put the plan into effect. Esther trusted the eunuch who had been given responsibility for her and so she accepted his advice without hesitation.
It’s a good thing to surround myself with wise people who care about me and about what is right and to consistently ask for their advice.
• If the advice I receive makes good sense and there is not a spiritual reason to question it, I can simply follow it.
• I need to receive advice that is not personally appealing to me. It’s easy to follow advice that tells me to do what I want to do. It’s more difficult to accept and follow advice that costs me or requires sacrifice.
• The ability to accept and respond to advice is based on relationship and trust.
By the way, it’s painful to have to give advice to a stubborn, self-willed know-it-all and it’s a delight to give advice to a person who is open, responsive, and who really wants to make the best and wisest decisions. May we be good advice receivers and givers.
Father, I purpose to be open to advice and counsel. Help me to build relationships of goodwill and trust so that I will consistently seek and receive good advice. Help me to be a good and wise advisor to others. Amen.